Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Hearts!

It has been a rough few weeks at the Mohn household. First I came down with type A flu. I was one of those people that went in to the Dr office and informed her that I had bad allergies. Who needs medical school when I have WebMD! After she stuck that large Q-Tip into my nose she very nicely informed me that I did have the flu. So I was homebound and quarantined in the master bedroom. At least I had all my crafting supplies and TV to keep me company. I also got to witness first hand what the dogs do all day in the backyard: run around in circles, stand on top of the dog houses and bark at invisible intruders! No wonder they are exhausted when they come in at night. I was tired just watching them.

The week after I had the flu mom had heart surgery to upgrade her defibrillator. More about that in a little bit. While mom was in the hospital Aaron came down with a sinus infection and ended up being homebound for the week. When it rains it pours!

I did have some time to craft. It is such a relaxing activity for me to do when I am stressed. I made these Valentine's Day cards and envelopes using my Silhouette Cameo. I got the idea from a stamp I used during our wedding and I just loved the pink plaid paper.



 
I think it is fitting to discuss mom's heart surgery and the American Heart Walk on Valentine's Day.  My spunky mother discovered around 3 years ago that she was in heart failure and her heart would stop and start again randomly.  Her grandmother suffered from the same thing and her heart stopped and never started again after she had a minor surgery.  My mother is lucky to live in an age where medical technology was able to give her a defibrillator to prolong her life.  We found out a few weeks ago that her heart was getting weaker and she would need to have another surgery to upgrade her defibrillator.  She had the surgery last Thursday.  There were some minor complications, but thanks to the amazing Doctors at the Walker Heart Clinic she was able to get her new defibrillator which should give her more energy and ability to breathe better.  Until 3 years ago, I had no idea that heart disease ran in my family.  Nor did I realize that:

Heart disease is the No 1 killer in women and more deadly than all forms of cancer. 

An estimated 43 million women in the US are affected by heart disease.

Heart Disease kills approximately one woman every minute

Thank you Stephanie Chism for these stats!

Aaron and I were just starting to date when my mom had her first surgery and while we were discussing it, I found out that heart disease runs in Aaron's family as well.  We wanted to make a difference and we felt the first step was to sign up for the American Heart Walk and help raise funds for the American Heart Association.  The first year we raised $200 to donate and walked in honor of Aaron's family and my mother.

 
Last year my mother decided to participate in the walk.  Together we raised over $500 as a family. Mom was so excited to wear her survivor hat and she especially loved getting all the free goodies at the vendor booths. 
 
 

  Once again it is that time of year to reach out to our friends and family and help us raise money for the American Heart Associate in honor of our loved ones.  If you are interested in helping, you can make a donation at our website http://heartwalk.kintera.org/fayettevillear/mohnfamily

Hope you have a great Valentine's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment